Of course, several top-rated hunting pants are available for purchase on the market; however, identifying them can be difficult as there are so many to filter from. Also, choosing the right gear, which is not limited to weaponry, is vital to any hunting trip as they can determine the direction in which the hunt will take.
Fortunately, you don’t have to go through the long and arduous process involved in choosing some of the best hunting pants, as we have already done that for you. Now, all you have to do is read on to identify 10 of the best waterproof hunting pants you can find on the market. You’ll also be able to learn some of the qualities you should look out for in hunting pants.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases if you shop through the links on HunterExperts. For more information, read full disclosure here.
- Top 10 Best Hunting Pants of 2022
- Buying Guide
Top 10 Best Hunting Pants of 2022
IDOGEAR G3 Combat Pants
The IDOGEAR G3 combat pants are produced by IDOGEAR, a professional tactical gear manufacturer. And it is constructed using 50% cotton and 50% polyester.
It features up to ten different size pockets and adjustment options that make it easy and efficient to use as they provide a huge carrying capacity. Besides, it has removable combat knee pads and concealed elbow pads that serve to improve comfortability.
But that’s not all. It also has a unique low-profile waist adjustment system and a knee pad height adjustment system that makes it very functional and appear professional.
- These IDOGEAR G3 combat pants use a YKK zipper that provides its user with a smoother experience
- It combines cotton, polyester, and Teflon coating to produce a waterproof and wear-resistant material
- It features a four-way elastic fabric that ensures improved flexibility and comfort
- It has adjustable velcro strips, which ensures that it is a comfortable fit
- Its multiple pocket design and accordion pocket design provide numerous storage spaces and larger storage space for your gear, respectively
- The knee pads seem a bit flimsy
Mossy Oak Camo Sherpa 2.0
The Mossy Oak Camo Sherpa 2.0 is a relatively cheap hunting pant that is constructed with athletic cut and stretch properties. These ensure that the wear is comfortable without adding extra bulk.
Interestingly, it can be paired with a base layering system, ranging from light to heavy, to provide an all-season use in even the coldest weather condition.
What’s more? It features knee-length leg zippers as well as two inner thigh zipper openings to allow for additional breathability.
For comfort, this hunting gear offers certain features such as stretch properties and a partial elastic waist. It also provides articulated stitched knees that enhance squatting and kneeling.
Finally, its outer shell uses a soft and durable micro-fleece fabric that repels light rain and snow. At the same time, the inner part features a sherpa fleece that improves warmth in cold weather.
- The Mossy Oak Camo Sherpa 2.0 is a very cool hunting pant that is suitable for both males and females
- It features a two-way stretch fabric that improves your mobility, thereby increasing your comfortability
- It has a six-pocket cargo design that provides extra space to store hunting tools
- It combines spandex, polyester, and cotton, which ensure that it is soft, lightweight, and durable
- It also has articulated stitched knees and crotch gusset that ensures it has a non-binding fit when you kneel, sit, squat, or climb
- Although it has a partial elastic waist, the waist is still a bit small
Gamehide Elimitick Ultra-lite
The Gamehide Elimitick Ultra-lite is an insect and mosquito repellent pant that is very ideal for game hunting.
The repellent on this gear is very effective such that ticks become frozen and do anything to get away from it. Apart from tick, it repels insects like chiggers, flies, midges, and mosquitoes.
But that’s not all:
Elimitick uses insect shield technology, which fuses the active ingredient (repellent) to the garment’s fibers. As such, the repellent doesn’t stick on your body when you wear the pant.
This ingredient is very tightly bonded with the fabric fibers that it lasts for the cloth’s entire lifespan.
Fortunately, it is completely odorless and allows you to wear it without worrying about big-games sniffing you out before you take them down.
- The Gamehide Elimitick Ultra-lite features insect shield technology that repels flies, ticks, mosquitoes, and other insects
- It has an elastic section that allows for a great fit
- It uses an odorless design that effectively hides your event
- It has numerous pockets that provide extra space for you to store your tools
- It also has features that ensure high breathability, fast-drying, and great comfort
- It is not very durable
SITKA Gear Mountain Performance
The Sitka Gear Men’s Hunting pants are specially designed with stretch-woven polyester along with a four-way stretch capability to provide ease when hunting in extreme mountain conditions.
It features gore-tex Infinium with Windstopper that makes it completely windproof. And it achieves this protection through the action of a durable, lightweight, water-resistant, and breathable membrane that prevents wind action on your body.
Furthermore, it uses traditional mimicry patterns, known as gore optifade concealment, that are designed to appear like a type of vegetation or terrain. This concealment technology is the only scientifically proven concealment pattern that optically allows a hunter to fade into their surroundings.
The Sitka Gear men’s hunting pant uses a waterproof finish that enables it to resist light precipitation and prevents the fabric from fading out due to water action.
- The SITKA Gear Men’s hunting pants feature an articulated fit that prevents the material from bunching and chafing
- It also features detachable knee pads that improve its protective capabilities by allowing hunters to crawl or scale rough terrains
- Its tapered leg region reduces noise and friction, thereby enhancing mobility and stealth capability
- It is windproof and waterproof
- It has a limited pocket space
- It is not warm enough extremely cold weather
- The knee pad also takes some getting used to
ScentLok Full Season Taktix
The ScentLok Full Season Taktix hunting parts is a gear system that incorporates feature-rich and action-ready technology. It comes equipped with a carbon alloy technology that allows for maximum odor adsorption, thereby making you inconspicuous during hunting. As such, animals won’t see you or sniff you out, giving you enough time to take your shot.
Furthermore, it uses a wicking technology that ensures coolness and dryness. It also comes with numerous pockets that make it easier for you to hold hunting gear.
Finally, it is effortless to clean.
- The ScentLok Full Season Taktix hunting parts feature wicking technology that functions to keep you dry and cool
- It uses a carbon alloy technology that allows for maximum odor absorption
- It has multiple pockets that allow you to carry gears easily
- It features a super-hydrophobic coating that repels liquids, including water, mud, blood, etc
- It is not suitable for use in rough terrains
- It is poorly ventilated and thus uncomfortable in humid weather
CQR Men’s Tactical Pants
The CQR Men’s Tactical pants are one of the best camo hunting pants available on the market as it is constructed in the military and law enforcement design. It uses a 65% polyester and 35% ripstop fabric to enhance its durability and make it ideal in all conditions.
It also uses a Duratec fabric that repels dirt, liquid, and other contaminants, thereby making sure that you remain clean in all conditions. Moreover, it features high-strength, high-density metal alloy snap buttons and zippers.
The CQR Men’s Tactical Pants uses eight multipurpose cargo pockets and an ungraded single front flap pocket. These spaces ensure that you can hold everything you need for your hunts with you at all times.
Finally, the pants are resistant to shrink, wrinkle, and fade.
- The CQR Men’s Tactical pants feature a classic style
- It is rip, fade, and shrink-resistant
- It is durable and strong
- It is also water-resistant and dirt-repellent
- It has numerous pockets that make it easier to hold hunting accessories
- It can fit very snugly
5.11 Women’s Taclite Pro
All the top hunting pants that have been mentioned have been men’s; although, women also hunt and have hunting pants designed for them.
The 5.11 Tactical Women’s Tactile Pro pants are one of the best hunting bottoms for women. It is constructed using 35% poly cotton and 65% polyester. It also features ripstop technology that makes it durable and Teflon-coated fabric resistant to stain, soil, and liquid.
The pant is secured with YKK zippers and Prym snaps that firmly secure the pants, thereby ensuring that it is a perfect fit.
Furthermore, it comes with an action waistband, gusseted design, triple stitching, and a hip-mounted D-ring, all of which ensure that it is a comfortable fit.
- The 5.11 Tactical Women’s Tactile Pro pants feature a double reinforced seat and knees that prevent rips and wetness in all weather
- It comes with seven pockets, which include two cargo pockets, an external knife pocket, clip loop, cell phone pocket, and strap-and-slash pockets
- It is lightweight and comfortable
- It uses a ripstop technology
- It features triple-stitching at major seams and stress points
- It can be too long
Wrangler Men’s ProGear Upland Jean
The Wrangler Men’s ProGear Upland jean is a relaxed hunting pant that incorporates a classic feel to highland hunting.
When it comes to upland hunting, you’ll require gear that is primarily different from the type used lowland. This is probably because highlands have less swampy or wet conditions as compared with lowlands. As such, durability is one of the most important properties a highland hunting pant should have.
And guess what?
The men’s highland jean is highly durable.
Both the front and back of this pant feature canvas paneling to ensure that you are protected against all dangers. It also has scratch-resistant patches that provide the perfect protection against snags and tears.
Furthermore, this pant is 100% cotton, and as such, it is comfortable and breathable. It is sturdy and durable.
- This upland hunting jean features a classic design
- It has reinforced legs that protect against thorns and other dangers
- It is scratch-resistant and machine washable
- It is a perfect fit with boots and suspenders
- It is highly sturdy and durable
- It is comfortable and breathable
- The belt loops are slightly small
- The pant may be small for you
- It is not a camouflage hunting pant
First Lite Obsidian Pants
The First Lite Obsidian pants are produced from Merino wool. As is widely known, wool is highly effective for keeping humans warm and dry, and it has been used in this regard since time immemorial. However, regular wool is usually smelly, itchy, uncomfortable, and even heavy to carry.
Fortunately, the Merino wool used in this hunting pant provides all the benefits of wool without any of its negative parts.
But that’s not all:
Merino wool is soft, durable, and odor-resistant.
In addition, it absorbs light, has no UV reflection, and is silent in motion. Hence, you don’t have to worry about it shearing when you walk, crackling when it folds, or flapping in the wind.
Furthermore, these pants are machine washable and can be put in the dryer.
- It is noiseless and odor-free
- It uses ripstop fabric, which makes it durable and highly comfortable
- It has belt and suspender loops that ensure it fits well
- It is machine washable
- It is woven with midweight
- It is not waterproof
SITKA Gear Men’s Timberline Pants
The SITKA Men’s Timberline pant is one of the best hunting pants available on the market. It is a water repellent polyester blend that ensures durability without giving up its flexibility.
Moreover, it provides its users with an athletic fit, tapered legs, and a waist resistant to chafing or bunching. It features seat and knees that are reinforced with waterproof nylon ripstop fabric, thereby allowing you to sit or kneel for as long as you want in any condition.
The pants are engineered to combat wet conditions like wet saddles or snow. Hence, you won’t have a wet backside. It also blocks wind and traps heat, thus giving you enough room to layer against cold without limiting your range of motion.
- The SITKA Men’s Timberline Pant is a comfortable fit for most hunters
- It is available in camouflage and different sizes
- It features a reinforced seat and knees that prevent rips and water in those areas
- It is noiseless, durable, and comfortable
- It has no built-in insulation
- It is only waterproof at the seat and knees
As mentioned earlier, purchasing a hunting pant is not an easy task. And in a bid to make it easier, there are certain factors to consider when choosing one. They include the what, when, and where you are hunting. That is, the animals you are hunting, the specific environment in which you’re hunting them, and the time of the year.
Doing this will ensure that the pants you choose will be comfortable. It will also protect you from the weather and obstacles in the environment.
Without further ado, we should introduce you to the factors you have to consider when choosing high-quality hunting pants. But first, what are the different types of hunting pants?
Types of Hunting Pants
There are several types of hunting pants on the market. However, the following are some of the most common ones:
Hunting pants for lowland environments must be water-resistant, warm, and durable. This is because of the type of condition of the lowland.
Regardless of the coverage of wind, hunting pants for lowlands can be thick or thin. However, they are usually 100% waterproof to ensure that you are always dry and comfortable.
As opposed to lowland pants that focus on water resistance, highland pants are more concerned about durability and wind-resistance. They are also reliable, durable, and tough to protect against rocks, cacti, and briars.
Keep in mind that:
The best highland pants are light and breathable and still strong and noiseless.
Furthermore, they should also be reinforced with knee pads to ensure that you can scramble, stretch, and crawl as much as you can on your hunting trails.
Cold Weather Pants
Cold weather pants are essentially heavier than highland pants as they are insulated. They are warm, waterproof, and they provide shelter from all elements. These pants’ primary function is to ensure that you always remain dry and warm in all kinds of cold temperatures.
An excellent cold weather pant should not only be tough on climate but should also be able to resist snags and tears. This is so that they can prevent air or snow from coming in.
What Should I Consider When Buying a Hunting Pant?
There are several factors you have to consider when buying a hunting pant, some of which are:
A good hunting pant should be durable and able to last in extreme conditions, regardless of how thick and thin it is. It should also be constructed with quality materials to withstand obstacles and resist snags and rips.
Some of the best hunting pants on the market use anti-rip technology and reinforced areas to ensure longer-lasting performance.
Regardless of how incredible the pants’ features are, they also have to be comfortable; otherwise, they won’t be the right choice. The best hunting pants should also be suitable for short walks and long trips, thereby allowing you to move freely.
This means that the best hunting pants should be able to keep unwanted weather out, remain breathable, and have specific technology like belt adjustments.
Hunting pants are usually worn to protect against branches, insect bites, and the weather. While hunting pants must protect against cuts and scratches, they have to be comfortable, regardless of the weather.
Hunting pants produced for use during the winter features moisture-wicking that enables you to stay dry and warm. In essence, the best hunting pants should keep you warm and dry and remain breathable in all conditions, including wind, rain, mud, or snow.
When hunting big games, it is recommended that you wear camouflage hunting pants. This pattern enables hunters to blend into their surroundings to avoid startling their prey easily. It also improves your chances of taking accurate shots to ensure your trip is a success.
Don’t forget that camouflage patterns vary and depend on your environment. For instance, white camouflage is used for snow hunting, greens and browns are ideal for the forest.
Some of the best hunting pants are designed to block scents. This is especially helpful while hunting big games with a strong sense of smell, and they often run when they detect an unfamiliar scent. This makes it more difficult and almost impossible to take an accurate shot.
Although hunting pants often cost more than other pants, they are usually worth it.
The fabric used to produce the hunting pant should be one that does not produce any sound, whether creaking or rustling. This is because any noise, regardless of how small, can frighten your prey even without approaching it. As such, ensure that your hunting pant is noiseless and very quiet.
You don’t always have to carry large bags around when hunting. In fact, it is not advisable as it often serves as an encumbrance due to the temperature, terrain difficulty, or distance. As such, extra pockets are necessary for hunting pants as they help store the additional gear you want to carry.
However, endeavor to look out for pocket sizes in pants before purchasing them, as some are not designed to accommodate other extra items.
If you have to store a gun holster or knife on a belt, it is recommended that you wear pants with wide belt loops that can accommodate the operator’s belt. Bear in mind that these pants are often built to have tactical designs.
Besides, consider the size of the belt you want to wear for each pair of pants, making sure that they have belt loops wide enough for your belts.
Another essential factor to consider is the strength of the hunting pant. Some of the materials used to enhance a hunting pant’s strength are tight upper tissues, like the gore-tex tissue. Also, polyester hunting pants are reputable for being highly durable properties.
Furthermore, you must pay attention to the insulation of the hunting pant you want to purchase. This is because the cold during winter can be too much and sometimes debilitating to your hunting efforts.
To create a real warm hunting pant, you recommend using a minimum of three layers of padding. And consequently, it will cause the pant to become big and uncomfortable. As such, you have to look out for pants that are insulated with modern technologies to keep you warm without turning you into a bear.
How can I wash wool hunting pants?
Washing wool hunting pants are relatively easy, and it involves the following steps:
- Turn the pants inside out.
- Wash with cold water and a wool-safe or gentle soap.
- Avoid drying the pants under direct sunlight after washing them. Instead, flat dry them.
Are all the pants mentioned above waterproof?
Note that not all the pants mentioned above are waterproof. As such, if you intend to hunt in marshy areas or wet conditions, look out for pants that are water-resistant or waterproof.
How can I loosen tight hunting pants?
- First, wash them in cold water and air-dry for close to 30 minutes.
- Place the pants on the ground.
- Put one foot in the side of the waistband that’s closest to the ground.
- Pull the other side of the waistband toward you.
- Stretch and pull the waist up to the best of your abilities.
- Finally, turn your pants and repeat the steps with the other side.
When it comes to locating the best hunting pants, it is essential that you find the most functional and comfortable ones on the market. This means you have to find pants with padded knees, stealthy silence, waterproof materials, and/or useful camp patterns.
Therefore, you have to consider factors such as the weather in which you want to hunt, the environment where you want to hunt, and the games you want to hunt. Putting all of these factors in mind makes it easier to find hunting pants that fit you well.