Crossbows are necessary for hunting. They’re easier to use than the traditional bow and arrow. But that’s not all! They’re also cheap if you know the right place to look. That is what this article is about. You’ll be able to discover the best crossbow under 500 in 2021 and how to find good crossbows that are not on this list.
Without further ado, let’s dive in!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases if you shop through the links on HunterExperts. For more information, read full disclosure here.
- Most Affordable and Best Crossbow Under 500
- 1. BARNETT Whitetail Hunter II Crossbow
- 2. PSE ARCHERY Fang HD Crossbow
- 3. Killer Instinct Furious Pro Crossbow
- 4. Barnett Explorer XP380 Crossbow
- 5. CenterPoint Sniper 370 Crossbow
- 6. Killer Instinct Ripper 415 Crossbow
- 7. BARNETT Whitetail Pro STR Crossbow
- 8. CenterPoint Tormentor Whisper 380 Crossbow
- 9. TenPoint Wicked Ridge Rampage 360 Crossbow
- 10. Excalibur GRZ2 Crossbow
- Buying guide for best crossbows under $500
Most Affordable and Best Crossbow Under 500
1. BARNETT Whitetail Hunter II Crossbow
Bernard Barnett founded a crossbow firm in the 1960s and early 1970s, and after so many years, they’re still one of the best. The reason is obvious, and the company is just that good!
The Barnett Whitetail Hunter II is an entry-level crossbow from Barnett, and with Barnett, entry-level does not mean it performs poorly. In fact, it outperforms the competition in that price bracket. Although it lacks the Raptor Pro’s speed or the HyperGhost 425’s power, the Whitetail Hunter II is designed the same way as all other Barnett crossbows, with the same trademark design and shooting mechanics.
It’s simple to use even for a novice, and it’ll turn you into a seasoned pro in no time. Once you’ve mastered the basics, you’ll be able to go on to larger shooters like the Barnett Predator 430 with ease.
- The bow is covered in a high-definition camo design
- Designed specifically for deer hunting
- For easier movement, the width and length have been reduced
- It’s small and light
- This is an excellent first bow since it is accurate, robust, stealthy, and reasonably priced
- Its coverage is of mediocre quality
- It has no adjustable scope or grips
2. PSE ARCHERY Fang HD Crossbow
The Reverse Cam System on the PSE Fang HD produces a lengthy power stroke and increases the energy in each shot. Its TrueTimber Viper Camo coating helps you blend in with the greenery, making you less visible to your target.
The arrow you can fire from it can go up to the rate of 400 fps. For shots within a 60-yard range, you’ll get excellent consistency and accuracy. Furthermore, it generates sufficient force to knock down huge animals such as deer and elk.
The Fang HD crossbow improves your aim by helping you achieve a steady stance. The result is a flawless shot with less strain. Dry firing is prevented by the anti-dry firing mechanism, which also allows for quick decocking. The trigger is very smooth and features a bullpup design.
- Ergonomic design for unrivaled precision
- It’s simple to use
- A good scope will help you to see targets in poor light
- The draw weight is rather high
3. Killer Instinct Furious Pro Crossbow
The Killer Instinct Furious Pro 9.5 crossbow is one of the greatest products in its category commercially available, combining high performance and simple mobility. It is intended for hunting even the largest wildlife and offers remarkable precision, allowing you to improve your hunting abilities. A well-balanced base and adaptability echo previous Killer Instinct crossbows in the Furious series, and they perfectly complement the Pro 9.5’s state-of-the-art new capabilities.
The UltraStealth cheek weld, which is superior to its predecessors and adds improved comfort when shooting, is one of the primary characteristics I loved about this crossbow. I also love the TrueTimber Strata camouflage and trigger, which provides strong and optimum precision while firing the arrows.
Let’s take a deeper look at a few of these characteristics and evaluate them thoroughly to see if this crossbow is the right weapon for your next hunting expedition.
- Improved precision is possible with unrivaled talent
- In confined spaces, it’s a delight to use
- In the woods, the ergonomic design fits in nicely
- Non-slip cheek rest and a firm grip
- Operation is carried out quietly
- Foot stirrups aren’t as broad
4. Barnett Explorer XP380 Crossbow
Barnett’s Explorer line offers tremendous power and performance in a budget-friendly package. It comes equipped with rope cocking mechanisms, a quiver, and 380 fps arrows. In addition, the XP380 is equipped with a pass-through foregrip, an adjustable buttstock, and a Black Strike camo pattern that looks fantastic and performs well. With a 13.75-inch power stroke and a 185-pound pull-out weight, the laminated limbs offer added strength.
With two carbon arrows, a 4 x 32mm multi-reticle sight, three Picatinny Rails, and more, the Barnett XP380 is ready to shoot. The 380 fps, according to Barnett, delivers up to 122 ft. lbs. of energy. You may easily take down large wildlife such as whitetail deer, elk, or bears with these fast-hitting rates. The scope has a sharp red/green dot sight and may help you aim precisely at distances up to 60 yards. In addition, a quieter shot is possible thanks to the TriggerTech function. This frictionless technology offers a light, quick draw for better shot control.
- Dry firing is avoided by using Anti-Dry Fire
- It’s lightweight and easy to use
- It is suitable for beginners
- Operation is carried out quietly
- TiggerTech technology has been implemented
- String material is not strong enough
5. CenterPoint Sniper 370 Crossbow
The Centerpoint Sniper 370 is a large game rifle with a small price tag. This crossbow focuses a lot onaccuracy with quad limbs that are fitted with a rail system and precision CNC-machined cam, which provides as much speed as 370 FPS. And that’s not all! There is also a fully adjustable stock and foregrip to compliment your shooting technique.
When cocked, the Sniper 370 is readily maneuverable, measuring 18 inches axle-to-axle and weighing 185 pounds. The Sniper 370 comes with inbuilt string suppressors to keep shots silent and vibration-free, as well as a 4×32-mm scope, quiver, rope cocker, and anti-dry fire/auto safety system. The Sniper 370 is equipped with everything you’ll need to venture into the great outdoors with confidence.
- Lightweight and durable
- Design that is both compact and durable
- Stock and foregrip are both adjustable
- AR-style stock that can be adjusted
- The stock that can be adjusted is a little loud
- Trigger creep problem
6. Killer Instinct Ripper 415 Crossbow
Meet the crossbow-wielding evil kid! The Killer Instinct® RIPPERTM 415 is a ‘Superstar’ when it comes to rapid crossbows. The Ripper fires bolts at a heart-racing 415 feet per second with a kinetic energy of 149 foot-pounds.
When you combine that power with a tough aluminum firing rail that allows for incredible ‘sub-1-inch’ accuracy [at 80 yards and beyond], you have the best low cost crossbow. The design is practical with a balanced, lightweight, and thin body that’s ready and perfect for dead aim anytime. Long-range accuracy is aided by the proven 3.5-LB KillerTechTM Trigger, which is reliable and sharp. The forearm grip, fully adjustable stock and unique rubber shock absorbers all combine to ensure that the hunter using the crossbow enjoys maximum comfort and performance. The Ripper 415 from Killer Instinct will improve your mindset and arsenal.
- For improved precision, it’s light but tough
- There’s also a cocking rope included
- The greatest and most cheap crossbow
- For tiny shooters, a 200-pound draw weight may be too much.
7. BARNETT Whitetail Pro STR Crossbow
The Pro edition significantly improved speed and performance. The Pro model’s best feature is its incredible speed, with 340 feet per second accuracy at 50+ yards.
This pro model has several characteristics that make it better for the best hunting crossbow under 500. First, it has a self-adjustable bristle mechanism that keeps the arrows from drifting away during shooting.
The three Picatinny rails make it easy to add accessories to this model. For hunters, this is a huge advantage. In addition, the function of crank-cocking is a bonus because it saves both time and energy.
- The precision shots are made possible by the step-through riser technology
- Design is both light and comfy
- With a speed of 400 fps, this crossbow is the fastest
- Noise and vibration are reduced using sound dampeners
- Its cocking assist is a little tricky to utilize
- Warranty is only for a limited time
8. CenterPoint Tormentor Whisper 380 Crossbow
If you’re searching for a bow for practice or for a specific purpose, the Tormentor Whisper 380 from CenterPoint is a great option. It is one of the affordable crossbows that comes with a variety of characteristics. The 120 pound KE aids with the easy takedown of big games. Additionally, you may obtain a precise range of illuminated reticles and flip-open lens covers with its 4 x 32 mm scope.
With a superb trigger group, foregrip, and string ends, the quality of this finest crossbow speaks for itself. This bow’s 14-inch axle-to-axle breadth, when cocked, and 35-inch stirrup-to-buttpad length make it easy to employ in blinds and tree stands.
- When cocked, the narrow breadth enables for some extremely close shots in treestands or shrubs
- The real crossbow’s quality and construction are comparable to versions costing $200-$300 more
- When compared to other CenterPoint crossbows, it is extremely silent, allowing for longer target shots
- The safety system is well-designed and functions similarly to that of certain Tenpoint crossbows
- It’s not exactly light at 7.9 pounds (9.2 pounds with attachments)
- If you are hunting beyond 30 yards, we recommend that you replace the scope
- The arrows that come with the kit are also not particularly good
9. TenPoint Wicked Ridge Rampage 360 Crossbow
What sets the all-new Rampage 360 apart from other crossbows is that it is the first entry-level crossbow witha built-in locking system that gives you the ability to cock and aim easily and precisely. It can fire up to 360 feet per second. It’s the best entry-level crossbow on the market, with unequaled out-of-the-box accuracy and unrivaled American-Built craftsmanship. It’s also a fantastic youth crossbow choice.
- Delivers unrivaled accuracy right out of the box
- Perfectly proportioned
- It’s simple and safe to use
- String dampeners are not supplied
10. Excalibur GRZ2 Crossbow
The GRZ 2 was designed by one of the industry’s top crossbow manufacturers for shooters and hunters who want the excellent performance of the Matrix series without the expensive price tag. Even though this is a less expensive choice, it does not fall short in performance or durability.
It assures velocities of 305 feet per second, so you can rely on it to perform a good job while hunting deer and other similar-sized wildlife, as well as target shooting. Not to mention the weight barely reaches 5.5 pounds. In short, it is light enough to be moved around from one place to another.
- Perfect and silent
- It is simple to relocate
- Scope of the Dead Zone
- Aid for cocking the rope
- The design is weatherproof
- There is no anti-dry-fire security mechanism in place
- There is no energy dissipation system for recoil
To begin, figure out what makes a decent crossbow. You should also ask yourself how you want to use the crossbow. Until you find these answers, finding a decent crossbow may prove difficult. This is why, while attempting to make a selection, you should consult the buying recommendations below.
High-end crossbow versions will have arrow speeds of 400+ FPS, while low-cost crossbows will have arrow speeds in the mid-300s. Even though it might be slower than some other crossbows, it is more than to hunt a bird or deer.
Buying a crossbow with 400 or more fps is not necessary. If you’re going to be using the crossbow for targetpractice, small black bear hunting, and deer hunting, 350fps should be more than enough.
The same is true for energy; the KE will be lower with fewer high-speed and high-power strokes. However, this KE is capable of taking down an animal if it’s close effectively.
If you plan on going hunting, be sure your crossbow has enough power. This sort of crossbow will store more energy while also delivering it more efficiently. In the right hands, this will make it even more lethal.
Auto safety and anti-dry fire systems are included in several of the crossbows under 500 dollars. These safety measures assist you in avoiding harming yourself as well as damaging your new crossbow. Choose a bow with auto-engaging safety, so you don’t have to remember to reset it before drawing.
To begin with, think about the feet per second (FPS) rate of the crossbow. This is way more important than you would think. The FPS (frames per second) number indicates how fast the arrow or bolt will travel. The crossbow will be slower and weaker if the rating is low. You’ll probably need to pay a little extra money if you want the quickest crossbow.
Manufacturers are offering crossbows as a bundle even at this price point. Some of the things included are red dot sight scope, rope cocker, sling mount, quiver, arrows, and lubrication wax.
Accessories in some crossbow kits are of poor quality. Therefore, you might wish to look at a higher price range if you anticipate greater quality optics. Alternatively, you may invest in a better crossbow scope individually.
Finally, take into consideration the warranty. After all, you’ll be purchasing a crossbow for less than $500. It’s possible that something unprecedented may occur in the future, and you must ensure that your investment is safeguarded. An extended warranty can at least give you peace of mind, and anything that lasts longer than a year deserves a second look.
While you’re buying your crossbow, try to decide what you want to do with it. For example, some people desire to hunt and devour the prey, and others will simply be content to shoot at targets. Therefore, before you can buy the finest crossbow for your money, you must first figure out what you want.
The following characteristics were provided to assist you in determining which crossbow is most suited to your needs.
In this part, we’ll look at some key questions that will help us better understand these qualities and how they influence a crossbow’s overall utility.
1. In the crossbow, how much weight do you need?
The majority of hunters go for medium to large wildlife like deer, black bears, moose, etc. As a result, most crossbows have a pull weight of 150 pounds and a velocity of 300 feet per second. A crossbow with higher pull-out weight and velocity is required for hunting big games.
2. What Are Reverse Draw Crossbows and How Do They Work?
RDT (Reverse Draw Technology) is the most recent advancement in crossbow devices. It’s a compound crossbow with reversed limbs, and the limbs are angled towards the shoulder stock. An additional bowstring is added to drive the bolt forward while maintaining a compact bow.
3. What Is Trigger Creep, and How Does It Affect You?
The sear is moved, and the mainspring is engaged by the positive moment of the trigger.
Crossbows improve year after year. The best crossbow under 500 in 2021 may be different in the upcoming year. You’ve heard of bows that fire 400 fps for under $500. Any of the models listed above will suffice if you want to begin crossbow hunting this season. Choose the one that best suits your budget, and then practice with it extensively before the season begins.